Hot N’ Not: October 15

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / The Daily Wildcat During the first half of Arizona’s 28-26 loss to USC at Arizona Stadium on October 11th.
HOT

While Arizona football was ranked in the top 10 and playing home, Las Vegas odds makers favored USC by 1.5 points. That was the first time since 1993 that a top-10 team was the underdog at home, and the Trojans won 28-26.

Arizona soccer upset No. 21 Washington State 4-1 in Pullman, Wash., last week. It was the Wildcats’ first win over the Cougars in 10 years.

Arizona football redshirt freshman quarterback Anu Solomon passed for 395 yards in the Wildcats’ loss to USC. Solomon is third in the nation in total offense, sixth in passing yards per game and seventh in total passing yards.

The Dallas Cowboys beat the Seattle Seahawks 30-23 in the Emerald City. The Cowboys have five in a row since losing their season opener to the San Francisco 49ers when quarterback Tony Romo was recovering from offseason back surgery.

NOT

Last weekend was a rough one for kickers. Arizona junior Casey Skowron and Cincinnati Bengal Mike Nugent missed game winners and were roundly criticized, and former Denver Broncos kicker Matt Prater, who was cut last week, missed two field goals in his Detroit Lions debut.

No. 1 ASU swept Arizona hockey 4-1 and 3-0 over the weekend. The Wildcats have lost 39 of their last 40 games to the Sun Devils.Despite having the highest payroll in sports history in North America, the Los Angeles Dodgers were bounced from the playoffs quickly. The St. Louis Cardinals won the National League Division Series against LA 4-1.

Florida State Jameis Winston’s eligibility may be in danger as he has allegedly been connected with the same autograph authentication business that was linked to suspended Georgia running back Todd Gurley. He also faces a disciplinary hearing on the allegations that he raped another FSU student.

_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.