Police Beat: October 15

When a stranger enters

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall in response to a report of a man inside the dorm who wasn’t a recognized resident. A resident assistant who was in his room had heard the man banging on the door to the room across from his. The man refused to give his name to the RA and seemed very confused.

When the officer arrived, an RA told him that the man wouldn’t cooperate with any of the RAs.

The UAPD officer went into a second floor room and found the shirtless man sitting at a desk on a computer. When asked, he immediately showed his ID, which said he was 19 years old and from Yuma. He said that he was staying with his friend, who was one of the residents of that room. The man claimed that he had been staying with another friend but was kicked out of the house, so he went to Pueblo at around 7 a.m.

At first he said his friend let him into the dorm, but then he said he waited for an opportunity to be let into the dorm and didn’t get into his friend’s room until about 9 a.m.

At this time, the resident entered the room. The officer talked with him privately and asked if he wanted the man to stay with him. At first he said no, but then changed his mind. He said that he had been with the man earlier but that at some point the man had left.

When the officer asked more questions, the man changed his story once again, saying a different friend had let him into the residence hall.

The officer cited the man for illegally entering the residence hall, but the man insisted that a friend had let him in.

The officer then spoke with the second friend, who said that he and the man weren’t really friends but knew each other from high school. He said they did hang out at around 7 p.m. the night before, but he didn’t let the man into the building. He also said that the person the man was supposedly staying with isn’t a nice person and is really sketchy.

The man was cited and released into the custody of his friend. He was told to stay in the room and placed under the responsibility of that friend.

The roommate

A UAPD officer went to Coronado Residence Hall on Sept. 27 because of a report a resident had filed about issues she was having with her roommate. She told the officer that they weren’t getting along and that the community director was working with Residence Life to find her alternate housing.

The student said that earlier that day she had been standing outside her room while talking to her mom on the phone. During the conversation, she brought up some of the problems she was having with her roommate.

She said that once she was done with the phone call, she went back into her room and saw that her roommate was in the bathroom, which is near the door. The student then heard her roommate say under her breath that she was going to beat her up. This made the student suspicious that her roommate had overheard her conversation with her mother.

She said that this is the first time her roommate has said anything like that, and that she didn’t want to get the police involved because she thinks that would cause an even bigger problem. She just wanted the comment to be documented.

For now, the community director is continuing to search for new housing for the student and will contact UAPD if police assistance is required at any time.

Dude, where’s my wallet

A wallet belonging to a UA student was stolen from a table in front of Chick-fil-A in the Student Union Memorial Center between noon and 12:30 p.m. on Sept. 19. The student told a UAPD officer that he sat down at a table in front of the restaurant and put his cellphone and wallet on the table behind the computer he was using.

When he went to leave the union about 30 minutes later, he noticed his wallet was missing, but his phone was still there. He said there had been a long line of customers near his table and he suspected that one of the customers in line took his wallet.

The student canceled all his financial cards and notified the CatCard office and his bank of the theft.

There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.