Police Beat: October 20

A house divided… and trespassed

A UA student and a non-UA-affiliated individual were cited and released on Oct. 13 for criminal trespassing.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was dispatched to the Arizona Stadium around 3 a.m. in reference to two individuals on the football field. Upon arrival, the officer saw two individuals sitting in the southeast corner of the stadium. As the officer approached the individuals, they came down the ramp toward him.

The officer made contact with both, who verbally identified themselves. One was a UA student and the other stated he was a student at Arizona State University. The UA student was holding an open can of Four Loko, approximately half-full. The individual not affiliated with the UA was holding an open bottle of Olde English 800, also approximately half-full.

The individuals had slurred speech and emitted an odor of intoxicants from their breaths.

When asked how they got into the stadium, one of them pointed at the southeast gate entrance and said, “We jumped the fence down there.”

The officer took them to the gate they had gestured to and made a note of the no trespassing sign. The individuals were escorted out of the stadium.

Both were cited and released for criminal trespassing. The UA student was also cited and released for minor in possession of liquor in body and was referred to the Dean of Students Office.

“A”-peeling

An 18-foot “A” was stolen from Old Main between Oct. 6 and Oct. 10.

A UAPD officer responded on Oct. 13 in reference to a report of theft at Old Main.

The officer met with the reporting party on the east side of Old Main, on the farthest west portion of the UA Mall. At this location, there is a spot where two brick pathways intersect, and according to the reporting party, it was the former location of a large 18-by-18 vinyl, red, white and blue block letter “A.”

The “A” had been made and purchased for the ribbon cutting of Old Main that occurred on Oct. 8. The reporting party informed the officer the “A” had been installed on the pathway two days prior to the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

The “A” was described as being attached to the pathway with a strong adhesive and was designed to endure the wear and tear of being outside. The officer was informed that Facilities Management Grounds Services employees noticed it was missing on Oct. 10.

The reporting party told the officer the “A” would not have been too hard to remove from the ground. It would simply need to be peeled off. For a reference as to how long it would take, the reporting party told the officer one person alone could have it removed in 30 minutes.

The reporting party also noted, however, that the removal of the “A” would have stretched out the material, distorting it. It was noted that the “A” was approximately $1,800.

There were no cameras in the area and no suspect information was known. A victims’ rights form was completed and sent to the university.