Police Beat: October 28

A wicky situation

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall in reference to an in-room smoke detector alarm on Oct. 19.

The officer arrived on the scene and was informed the smoke detector in the room had been going off for several minutes. The resident assistant arrived and escorted the officer to the room.

The officer noted no signs of smoke in the area but could hear the alarm going off inside the room. When the officer opened the door, the room was filled with haze and had a strong odor of scented candles, but not smoke. No one was in the room.

The officer noted a lit green scented candle on a desk, an opened Air Wick gel air freshener on a bookcase and a small stone bowl behind the candle that was partially full of warm, green wax.

The officer blew out the candle and Tucson Fire Department firefighters found no source of heat in the room. The officer opened the windows to air out the room.

A debit card and a black plastic cap were partially buried under the wax in the bowl. The officer was told the name on the card was for a resident of the room, but that the RA had no contact information for the individual.

The officer closed the windows and saw a metallic water bottle under the bed with no cap on it. The bottle was empty, but the officer detected a scent of marijuana in it. The windowsill had a small amount of green dust on it, which was consistent in appearance and odor to marijuana.

Later in the day, the RA asked for the officer to return to the hall’s lobby. Upon arrival, the officer met with the student whose debit card was in the room. The officer saw no signs or symptoms of recent marijuana use.

The student told the officer he was unaware that candles or incense could not be lit in dorms. He informed the officer that he had been in his room with six other people, whom he would not identify.

He said to the best of his knowledge, none of his friends had marijuana on them while in his room. The officer informed the individual that he could become involved in a criminal violation if one of his friends had marijuana. 

Bruh, where the weed at?

A Lyft driver found half a gram of a leafy substance in his vehicle after dropping off two UA students on Oct. 13.

A UAPD officer was dispatched to the traffic circle at the Coronado Residence Hall in response to the driver.

Upon arrival, the officer spoke with the Lyft driver. The driver said he dropped off two men at the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house. The men had said they were pledges of the fraternity. The driver said upon doing a visual inspection of the vehicle, he found a medicine bottle with what he believed to be marijuana inside.

The bottle was located in the front passenger seat where one of the males had been sitting. He gave a visual description of the passenger and told the officer he performs a visual inspection every time a passenger leaves the vehicle.

A manager at Lyft was contacted and the officer was informed the passenger’s name could not be given without a formal request.

The officer took the substance, which he identified as marijuana, and had it placed into property and evidence for destruction.