Police Beat: October 29

Thou shalt not steal ear buds

A University of Arizona Police department officer went to the UofA Bookstore at 3:45 p.m. on Oct. 24 in response to a man shoplifting from the store.

The man said he came to the bookstore to purchase a Bible, and after doing so, continued to look around the store and found a pair of ear buds he liked. He took the item out of its packaging and put them in his pocket, leaving the box on the shelf.

The man admitted he had the money to pay for the product, but chose not to. The student had been caught two weeks prior stealing at Macy’s in the Tucson Mall, he said.

The student was arrested for charges of shoplifting, cited and released. The man also said he was a player on the football team, but is not listed on the team’s roster.

Resident reports troubled hall-mate

A UAPD officer went to Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall in response to a student who reported being concerned about the welfare of a hall-mate at 5:35 p.m. on Oct. 22.

The caller had overheard the resident tell a friend she wanted to kill herself, and had made similar claims for several days. Others heard the subject being emotional and crying as well. Additionally the woman had taken to Twitter, writing vague messages about hating life, missing home and no longer wanting to be in school.

The woman, not present when the officer arrived, was contacted later. She was calm, but admitted to having suicidal thoughts in the past, including the day before. She said she was experiencing trouble at home and school.

The student told the officer she had already been looking for help, and the officer provided her with several resources in case she experienced further problems.

Engineering building, parking lot tagged with nonsensical graffiti

A UAPD officer discovered graffiti at the Engineering building as well as in a parking lot a few blocks northeast of the building while patrolling the area at 7:40 a.m. on Oct. 24.

The graffiti, written in white marker, at the Engineering building read “MERA”, covering about 20 by 8 inches.

In the parking lot at the corner of Speedway Boulevard and Cherry Avenue, a generator had been tagged, with illustrations reading “SOHO,” “NERO,” “aocy,” “Savage” and “AIF” in varying color and sizes. The officer reported the vandalism. There are no current suspects or witnesses.