Police Beat: October 7

The young and the restless

On Sunday, the Tucson Fire Department took a non-UA affiliated girl to the University of Arizona Medical Center for extreme intoxication.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers working with residence life saw an extremely drunk girl fall out of a taxi cab. Two other women got out of the cab, helped the girl to her feet and carried her into a residence hall.

When officers tried to speak to the girl, she could not respond because she was too drunk. When she tried to speak, she began to vomit. Officers then called TFD and the University of Arizona Student Emergency Medical Services to treat her.

One of the women with her was able to speak on her behalf and said the girl was 16 and was visiting from out of state. They had been to several fraternity houses that night and drank too much.

UAPD called the girl’s parents who said they wanted their daughter released to the woman because she was the only person they knew in Tucson. The parents then gave officers verbal permission for their daughter to be taken to UAMC.

The girl was taken to UAMC where she was cared for and released to the UA student. No legal action was taken against the girl by UAPD.

Wide turns

On Sunday, at 2:15 a.m., UAPD officers diverted a UA student to the Dean of Students office for underage alcohol consumption on campus.

Officers saw a car make a wide turn into a middle lane while the right lane was completely open to traffic. Officers stopped the car for a routine check.

As officers were talking to the driver, they smelled alcohol coming from the passenger’s side of the car. The driver of the car said she had not been drinking that evening.

The officer then asked the passenger. She said yes and that she was under 21.

Officers had both of the women take breath tests. The passenger’s test showed there was alcohol present in her system. She also had bloodshot, watery eyes and swayed when standing.

The passenger said she had been drinking mostly vodka at a fraternity house that evening. The driver was given a verbal warning for the improper turn.

The passenger was not arrested but was diverted to the Dean of Students office for liquor violation.

Bent

On Sunday, at 12:48 a.m., a UAPD officer diverted a UA student to the Dean of Students office for minor in possession of alcohol.

While an officer was driving on campus as part of a regular campus watch, he saw a man helping a woman walk down a road. The woman then bent over and began throwing up.

The officer parked and went over to check on the woman. As he talked to her, he noticed that her eyes were red and glassy and she swayed while trying to stand.

The officer walked her over to a nearby bench so she could sit while he spoke to her.

She told the officer she was fine though she had been drinking earlier that night. She said they were on their way back from the man’s fraternity house. When asked, neither the man nor woman admitted to drinking at the fraternity house.

No other legal action was pursued.

– Follow Micah Montiel @MicahMontiel