Refresher on Aloe Blacc before concert

Courtesy of aloeblacc.com

Aloe Blacc is performing on the UA Mall Friday at 6:30 during the Wildcat Events Board’s Welcome Back Concert. Other performers include Tyler Ward and Luna Aura.

Aloe Blacc is coming for a concert on the UA Mall this Friday thanks to the Wildcat Events Board. The singer is known for popular songs such as “The Man” and “Wake Me Up,” which was made into an upbeat club song by Avicii. The song sold 2.8 million copies in the U.S. alone. Blacc’s third solo album, titled Lift Your Spirit, presents lyrics with culture and soulful feeling.

“After working with so many different styles of music over the years, I’ve found this place somewhere between folk and soul that feels really true to my vision,” Blacc said on his website. Here are five things you should know about Blacc before seeing him perform live tonight:

1. Blacc was born in Southern California, and he began writing rap lyrics at the age of 9. His real name is actually Egbert Nathaniel Dawkins III. He is also married to Maya Jupiter.

2. Blacc has worked with incredibly famous producers, such as Pharrell Williams, Rock Mafia and DJ Khalil. He was in many different bands and music groups before going solo in 2003.

3. As a graduate of the University of Southern California, Blacc has studied many genres of music, including salsa, dancehall, reggae, funk and psychedelic rock.

4. Blacc made it big with gold records in England, France and Germany before hitting it big in the U.S.

5. Blacc thought of the lyrics for “Wake Me Up” while on a flight coming home from Geneva. The artist recorded the lyrics on his phone and kept them there until Avicii offered him the chance to collaborate on an album.

Tyler Ward and Luna Aura will be performing with Blacc at 6:30 p.m. The entire concert is free for all students, and it is part of the “Our Voice, Our Vote Campaign.” There will be inflatables, food, drinks and voting registration throughout the event.

_______________

Follow Lindsey Stegemoller on Twitter @lstegs