Arizona golf ends fall season

The Arizona’s men’s and women’s golf fall season came to an end this past week with both teams finishing their last tournaments of the session.

Arizona women’s golf finished in fourth place on Tuesday at the Pac-12 Conference Preview in Kona, Hawaii.

The University of Hawaii hosted all of the Pac-12 schools, minus Utah, at the Nanea Golf Club.

Arizona had a final score of 13-over-par 889 over the two-day tournament, earning the Wildcats fourth place. The team had total scores of 1-over-par 293 for round one, 10-over-par 302 for round two and 2-over-par 294 for the final round on Tuesday.

No. 6 Washington took first place with a total score of 11-under-par 865, No. 7 UCLA placed second with a total score of 876 and No. 3 Stanford finished in third place with a total score of 7-over-par 883.

Junior Lindsey Weaver carried the team, finishing in first place for the Wildcats and tying for fifth place overall. Weaver had a total tournament score of 1-under-par 218, scoring 3-under-par 70 in round one, 4-over-par 77 in round two and 2-under-par 71 during her final round of the tournament.

The women’s team resumes play in February at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes, Calif. The team won’t have another home event until March when the Wildcat Invitational takes place in Tucson.

On Oct. 28, the Arizona men’s golf team tied for ninth place at the Quail Valley Intercollegiate tournament in Vero, Fla.

The team finished with a total combined score of 5-over-par 869 over the two-day tournament.

“Our guys showed a lot of heart today,” UA men’s golf head coach Jim Anderson said in a press release.

For rounds one and two of day one, the team scored 5-over-par 293 and 3-over-par 291, finishing in 12th place overall. For the final round on day two, the team had its lowest scoring round with a final score of 3-under-par 285, bringing the team up from 12th place to ninth place overall.

“We knew we needed to come out and play well to finish the fall season on a positive note,” Anderson said in a press release.

Senior Alex McMahon earned his first top-10 finish of the preseason with a score of 4-under-par 68 for his final round of the tournament. McMahon tied for fifth place overall, with a total score of 6-under-par 210.

The men’s team resumes play in January when it hosts the Arizona Intercollegiate tournament at its new home course, the Sewailo Golf Club.

_______________

Follow Daniela Vizcarra on Twitter.