Eller College dean heads to Nevada for promotion

The dean of the Eller College of Management has been selected to be the next president for University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and will leave the UA during the holidays.

Len Jessup became the dean of Eller College in May 2011, according to his bio on the Eller College’s website. According to the bio, he is an alumnus of the UA, having received his doctorate in organizational behavior and management information systems from Eller College in 1989.

A press release regarding the announcement stated that Jessup’s time at Eller College was a time of growth for the college. The college’s operating budget, according to the press release, grew from $48.8 million to $60.6 million from fiscal years 2011 to 2014. This growth was attributed to increased enrollment, student fees, philanthropy and new initiatives, such as Eller Executive Education. The press release also said that, from 2010 to 2014, Eller College undergraduate enrollment increased 12 percent and graduate enrollment increased 32 percent.

The decision by the Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents was announced Tuesday following a special meeting.

Jeff Schatzberg, Eller College’s vice dean and an accounting professor, said that Eller College is excited for Jessup as he moves on.

“This is a great testament to Len’s leadership, and we’re excited for him as he takes on this new challenge,” Schatzberg said. “We’ll also miss him, but have every expectation that our great team at Eller will continue to ensure that the college maintains its momentum in research, teaching and partnerships. We look forward to working with the provost on our transition plan.”

Andrew Comrie, the senior vice president of academic affairs and provost, said in the press release that the faculty is proud of Jessup’s achievements at the UA.

“We are very proud of and excited for Dr. Jessup,” Comrie said. “This is a wonderful opportunity for an incredibly competent and innovative leader. We will, of course, miss his expert leadership of Eller that led to many important and impactful advances for the college and the university. We wish him well and look forward to witnessing the many expected successes he will achieve at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.”

Jessup was one of three finalists for the position and, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, his contract at UNLV is for five years at a pay of $525,000 annually, including other benefits, making him the highest-paid university president in Nevada. He was voted in with an almost-unanimous vote of 12 board members voting in his favor with one against.

_______________

Follow Ariella Noth on Twitter.