Grijalva locks in seat for seventh term

Savannah+Douglas+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat+%0A%0AGabriella+Saucedo+Mercer+and+her+campaign+volunteers+enjoy+food+at+Los+Portales+Restaurant+on+Tuesday+for+Mercers+election+night+party.+Mercer+stated+that+her+volunteers+were+pertinent+to+her+grass-roots+campaign.+
Savannah Douglas / The Daily Wil
Savannah Douglas / The Daily Wildcat Gabriella Saucedo Mercer and her campaign volunteers enjoy food at Los Portales Restaurant on Tuesday for Mercer’s election night party. Mercer stated that her volunteers were pertinent to her “grass-roots” campaign.

Grijalva defeated Gabriela Saucedo Mercer, who he ran against previously in 2012. This will be his seventh term in office.

“I thank the voters for their confidence in me and for the privilege to serve,” Grijalva said in a statement to Tucson News Now. “I look forward to continuing my work on their behalf.”

Grijalva supported the Comprehensive Immigration Reform for America’s Security and Prosperity Act, which works to allow those living in the U.S. illegally with no criminal history to achieve permanent status in the U.S. by going through a process and paying a fine. He also supported the Affordable Care Act and strongly supported public education. He said that the best policies for national security are those that address the root causes of international and national conflicts, rather than turning these issues into exploiting fear or offering a false sense of security.

Saucedo Mercer was a supporter of those who wanted to be citizens going through the process from their home country, and she desired to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

At her election viewing event Tuesday evening, Saucedo Mercer said the lack of support from the national Republican Party influenced the turnout of the third congressional race.

“I didn’t have support from the national Republican Party,” Saucedo Mercer said. “They said that this is not a winnable district, which is a self-fulfilled prophecy; if you believe that, then you’re never going to go try and fight to win. Gabrielle Giffords won in a heavily Republican district, but because she had the support of the national party, they gave her the money and the resources she needed, so she was able to win.”

She went on to say that in this election, Grijalva outspent her 10 to 1 and that he had the money, while she did not.

At an event hosted by the Pima County Democratic Party, those in attendance stressed the importance of electing more Democrats to office.

Evelyn Lathram, a community member and UA alumna, said that it is always a good thing to have more Democrats.

“It’s extremely important,” Lathram said. “Democrats are for people who do not have a lot of money.”

Janet Kline, another community member, agreed with Lathram regarding their importance.

“They look out for the well-being of the people, not [try] to earn money and save their wealth,” Kline said.

The event came to an end as Don Jorgensen, chair of the county party office, gave a farewell regarding the position of Democrats in Arizona.

“Pima County is the Democratic heart and soul of Arizona,” Jorgensen said. “We are going to prove that next year, and the year after, we are going to continue this fight.”

_______________

Follow Ariella Noth on Twitter.