Hot & Not: November 19

Courtesy of Conner Linn

Arizona hockey head coach Chad Berman strategizes with the team during Arizona’s 4-3 win against NAU on Friday at the Tucson Convention Center Arena. The Wildcats have limped to a 7-7 record this season.

HOT

Arizona women’s swimming and diving (6-0) remained undefeated with a 172-128 win at USC last week. On Tuesday, USA Swimming announced that UA head coach Rick DeMont will serve as an assistant coach for the 2015 World Championships for the Americans.

Arizona women’s soccer opened the NCAA tournament by beating Oklahoma State 1-0 last week on the road in 30-degree temperatures. It was only the third win ever for the Wildcats in the Big Dance.

Arizona football beat Washington 27-26 on Saturday to reach eight wins. The last time the Wildcats won eight wins in a row was 1973 to 1975 under College Football Hall of Fame coach Jim Young.

Arizona volleyball swept its series against the Oregon schools last week. The Wildcats beat the Beavers and No. 10 Ducks 3-1.

NOT

It was another rough weekend for Arizona hockey. The Wildcats needed a shoot-out to beat Division II NAU on Teddy Bear Toss Night and lost 5-1 to No. 7 Minot State.

Arizona women’s basketball opened the season with a 76-72 loss to Cal State Bakersfield. The Wildcats haven’t won a game since Feb. 9.

Arizona men’s swimming and diving lost 182-118 at USC on Saturday. The defeat dropped the Wildcats to 1-3 on the season.

The NFL suspended Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, without pay, for the remainder of the season. Peterson allegedly beat his 4-year-old son with a piece of wood.

_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.