Learning to cook tasty Thanksgiving dishes without home kitchen

Rebecca+Noble+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0Amajor%2Fyear%2Fname+learn+to+prepare+cauliflower+buffalo+bites+during+this+weeks+installment+of+Cooking+on+Campus+at+the+Student+Recreation+Center+Instructional+Kitchen+on+Tuesday%2C+Oct.+7.+This+weeks+class%2C+led+by+student+chef+and+nutritional+sciences+junior+Dorine+Owusu%2C+features+Guilt-Free+Tailgating+recipes+including+cauliflower+buffalo+bites%2C+guacamole%2C+chicken+skewers%2C+and+flavored+waters.+
    Rebecca Noble / The Daily Wildca
    Rebecca Noble / The Daily Wildcat major/year/name learn to prepare cauliflower buffalo bites during this week’s installment of Cooking on Campus at the Student Recreation Center Instructional Kitchen on Tuesday, Oct. 7. This week’s class, led by student chef and nutritional sciences junior Dorine Owusu, features “Guilt-Free Tailgating” recipes including cauliflower buffalo bites, guacamole, chicken skewers, and flavored waters.

Thanksgiving is coming up soon, and this means great food, family and friends sharing the beginning of the holiday season together.

For those who cannot make the trip back home next weekend, the chefs from Cooking on Campus have a class today at 5:15 p.m. in the Student Recreation Center instructional kitchen on how to make Thanksgiving classics.

“Cooking for yourself and others is always a nice way to spend the holidays,” said Rayna Katz, a nutritional sciences sophomore and student chef for Cooking on Campus.

Sometimes, resources can be limited for students who may not have a kitchen or a large amount of ingredients. Katz said there are many different substitutions for ingredients that can be made if one is lacking something important. Making healthy meals can also be a struggle on a college budget, but making small substitutions for better options can be simple. Most of the ingredients for the meals taught in the class are less than $10.

The class will be making twists on holiday favorites, such as cayenne mashed sweet potatoes, pumpkin cheesecake mousse and cider glazed turkey breast. The class will focus on making healthy substitutions in these recipes.

“In our pumpkin cheesecake mousse, we will be using cottage cheese and Greek yogurt to create that creamy texture, but in a healthy way,” Katz said.

The holidays are a great time to share company with others, and by throwing a dinner party with those staying in Tucson for Thanksgiving, students can make lasting memories. There are other ways to make Thanksgiving special for those who can’t make it home, too. Making handmade decorations for dorms or apartments can brighten up rooms. Buying scented candles is another way to get into the holiday spirit.

“It’s hard to believe, but one day we will need to cook for our families with recipes we have learned, so this class is a good way to learn the basics of holiday cooking without getting stressed out,” Katz said.

The Cooking on Campus class is only $5 to attend, a steal for the amount of knowledge taught in the class. For those heading home for the holidays, taking the class can serve as an introductory course for learning recipes to use in their post-college lives.

Cooking on Campus offers classes twice a month. Those who are interested can go to uacookingoncampus.com for additional information on classes and how to register.
    _______________

Follow Lindsey Stegemoller on Twitter.