Police Beat: November 12

To ID or not to ID
A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of spirituous liquor and a non-UA affiliate was cited and released for selling alcohol to a minor without demanding identification on Oct. 29.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was working a plainclothes detail in the area of Jett’s Wildcat looking for a suspicious male. The officer entered Jett’s Wildcat and saw what appeared to be an underage male purchasing a case of Miller Lite beer.

The officer saw the student place the case of beer in his backpack and leave Jett’s Wildcat. Another officer was contacted to see if a consensual stop could be made with the student. The officer followed the student until contact was made with the other officer.

The officers received permission to take the student’s CatCard to confirm that his name was not in the alcohol log book at the store.

The officers returned to the store and asked the clerk if they could check the log book. The student’s name was not listed in it.

The officer requested a copy of the log book for the previous few days, and the clerk gave it to him and denied selling alcohol to anyone that was not logged in the log book.

The student, however, identified the clerk as the person who sold the alcohol to him.

The officer asked the clerk if he was the only person working, to which the clerk replied, “Yes.” He was then cited and released.

Is that a pipe or are you just happy to see me?
A UA student was issued a student diversion for unlawful possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after he was found on the fifth level of the Sixth Street Parking Garage.

A UAPD officer was conducting an area check of the garage when he saw four men looking over a wall on the fifth level.

When the officer drove past them, he saw one man immediately remove items from the wall and place them into the front pocket of his jeans. He then proceeded to lean against the wall.

The officer spoke with the men and could smell a strong odor of marijuana coming from the one who had removed the items from the wall. Other officers arrived on the scene and the first officer spoke with that man away separately.

The officer asked him what he was doing standing in a parking space in the garage. The man told the officer he and the other men were hanging out. The officer informed the man that he could smell an odor of marijuana emitting from him and could see the bulge in his pocket from when he removed the items from the wall.

The man removed a multi-colored glass pipe from his right front pocket. He then removed fresh marijuana from his left front pocket and placed both items on the trunk of the officer’s vehicle. The pipe had fresh marijuana packed in the bowl.

The man said he was holding on to the marijuana and pipe for a friend who uses marijuana medically. The officer explained that marijuana is not allowed on campus.

The man did not want to reveal the name of his friend and exhibited no signs or symptoms of marijuana use. He was diverted to the Dean of Students Office. None of the other men exhibited signs or symptoms of marijuana use.