Police Beat: November 26

Picking on ‘the kids’

Three UA students were cited at a parking lot on Helen Street for minor in possession of alcohol on Nov. 16 at 1:30 p.m. One of the students was also arrested for an outstanding warrant from UAPD for failure to appear in court.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was conducting a routine check when he saw two men and a woman playing football in the parking lot. The officer also noticed another man standing near a car and a woman sitting in the car who seemed to be affiliated with the three students playing football.

The officer noticed a can on the car and another in one of the students’ hands. The woman playing football had thrown a third can on the ground when she saw the officer park. When the officer got closer she noticed several cans of Bud Light Lime-A-Rita on the ground and on the floor of the car.

The officer asked the students for identification. All provided their IDs except the student standing near the car. The student standing said he was 21 and began to pace around the car saying the officer was picking on “the kids.”

The officer then called an assisting officer due to the possibility of underage drinking.

A records check showed that one of the students had a warrant with UAPD for failure to appear on a charge of minor with spirituous liquor in body and was taken to Pima County Jail. A third officer was called to the parking lot to help determine which students had been drinking and who had provided the alcohol.

One of the students, who was underage, admitted to buying Straw-ber-itas for her and her roommate who was also underage. She was arrested, cited and released at the scene for providing liquor to a minor and for a minor in possession. One other student who also showed signs of alcohol consumption was arrested, cited and released at the scene.

A code of conduct was also sent to the Dean of Students Office.

Had to see it

A UA student was caught trespassing in Arizona Stadium on Nov. 16 at 4:10 a.m.

A team security employee in Arizona Stadium called UAPD to report a man laying in the middle of the football field. Two officers met the man on the field.

The student said he knew he wasn’t supposed to be there but had wanted to see the inside of the stadium and did so by hopping a short wall on the northeast end. The student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

Wrong way

A UA student was arrested for a misdemeanor criminal warrant from the Tucson Police Department on Nov. 16 at about 2:20 a.m.

Two UAPD officers were parked on Eighth Street east of Euclid Avenue when they saw the student in a black sedan going eastbound on Eighth Street from First Avenue to Euclid Avenue. Eighth Street is a one-way westbound street from Third Avenue to Euclid Avenue.

The officers pulled the student over and asked for his license. A records check showed that the student had a warrant for trespassing from TPD.

The student also showed signs of alcohol consumption and was given a standard field sobriety test though it didn’t indicate that he was impaired. The student was arrested and taken to Pima County Jail.

– Follow Stephanie Casanova @_scasanova_