Santa Claus is coming to town, UA

Rebecca Noble

The sleigh that Santa Claus sits in on University Boulevard on Tuesday. With Christmas quickly aproaching, Santa Claus urges everyone to focus on the positive.

With the holiday season officially in motion, children near the UA are able to visit Santa Claus.

Claus said that he came into the job 485 years ago.

“He didn’t come to be Santa,” Claus said. “Santa came to me.”

He said that the job of being Santa Claus is a calling and is “something that you just must do.” He also added that he loves children and loves touching peoples’ hearts during the holidays.

Claus said becoming Santa Claus is all about having the right spirit.

“Not only at Christmas, but the whole year round,” he said, “which is the spirit of kindness, really.”

Claus said he has had quite a few memorable moments over the course of his career, but one that stands out was an incident with a young girl about 10 years ago.

“There was a little girl … whose father had just died, and her name was Daisy, and her mother was there with Daisy,” Claus said. “But that she had had so much heartbreak and difficulty with the death of her father, that they thought it would help to see Santa. So, she visited me, and we had a wonderful visit.”

However, Santa said that the end of their visit wasn’t a goodbye.

“And then she left for a minute or two, and then she ran back to me, where I was sitting, and she hugged me around the neck, and she said, ‘Santa, you look just like my daddy,’” Claus said. “And I tell you what, my eyes filled with tears. My heart, while broken, was full with love for her. And I really had to take a deep breath before I composed myself somehow. Daisy was a very special little girl who saw me for years and years and years.”

Before Claus had to return to his busy job of asking children what they wanted this year for Christmas, he briefly talked about Tucson.

“It’s hot. It’s warm,” he said. “It’s really very different from the North Pole.”

However, as he returned to his sleigh, Claus did have a few words for the university.

“Santa is, and I’m not joking about this, a very avid UA fan,” he said.

Santa is available every Sunday from 1-4 p.m. until Dec. 21, and can be found on his sleigh during these times outside of Chipotle Mexican Grill in Main Gate Square.

One of his elves will be doing balloon art and face painting. Photos with Santa are free of charge, and he has a special gift for each child who visits him. He is also willing to take photos with those who may be sending him their letters from their residence halls. 

DISCLAIMER: Santa Claus  refused to reveal his identity. With that said, do not take this story too seriously.

_______________

Follow Ariella Noth on Twitter.