UA adviser says winter session pretty chill

Owen Forest
Owen Forest / The Daily Wildcat Pre-physiology sophmore Trevor Durflinger and Political Science sophmore Stephanie Littig study chemistry and public policy and administration respectively in the Main Library on Dec. 8th.

With winter break quickly approaching, some UA students face the decision of whether to take a winter course, which UA advisers claim is more economical than not taking classes over the break.

Roxie Catts, director of the Advising Resource Center at the UA, said there is a demand for winter session courses. She said she believes students not only need the flexibility but want the option of courses during winter break.

Martin Marquez, an academic advisor for the department of chemistry and biochemistry, said winter session courses vary from general education requirements to different language courses, graduate courses and even introductory math courses and added that a majority of the winter session courses have an online option.

Risa Latinka, a senior studying nutritional sciences and global studies, is taking American National Government online during the winter session through Mesa Community College.

Latinka said taking this course over the winter break is the only way she can graduate on time. She said she normally would have taken the class during the summer but is planning to study abroad this summer in Guatemala, so it didn’t work out.

Pima Community College usually offers winter session as well, but this year it is not.

“They stopped for this year due to the lack of effectiveness [PCC felt] about winter courses,” Marquez said. “They are reviewing [and] evaluating if this is a permanent decision.”

Latinka said she would have taken her course at PCC had they held or offered a winter session this year.

Winter session is also an opportunity for students to take advantage of lower tuition rates for courses.

According to the UA bursar’s website, the estimated cost of a three-unit class, including tuition and mandatory fees, for an undergraduate resident is $2,274.91 for fall 2014. In comparison for that same student, the cost is estimated to be $1,250 for winter 2014, allowing students to save money.

“I think that winter courses are a pretty good deal overall,” Marquez said.

Marquez said typically winter sessions are taken to satisfy graduation and scholarship requirements or to fulfill a prerequisite for courses like math.

Although winter session offers a chance to fulfill scholarship requirements or save money, Marquez said, students can only take one class worth three or four units.

He added that sometimes a student is allowed to take two classes though it is not advisable, but in certain extreme situations like if they’re the last two courses needed to graduate or in a situation that could cause detrimental impact on the student, it can be approved by the college.

Catts said she thinks that paying for classes during winter break on top of tuition during normal semesters may be a burden but is worth it in the long run.

“The way I look at it is from a big picture perspective,” Catts said. “Yes, you’re paying extra tuition for an extra course, and no, you’re not getting a much-needed break, but if it’s between graduating on time or salvaging a scholarship, it’s worth it.”

_______________

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.