Mailbag: Nov. 18

UA intramurals condone sexist practices

To many people, the definition of coed intramurals soccer is the equal involvement and equal performance of men and women in an athletic competition. 

To the UA’s intramural department, the definition of coed intramural soccer is an athletic competition catering to many stereotypes against women. First, there must always be at least three females on the field at all times. I admire Campus Recreation for their attempt at equal participation, but they seemed to have forgotten to include men into this regulation.

Secondly, a goal scored by a man equals one point while a goal scored by women equals two. This makes a women much more valuable on the team, but why can’t she be more valuable for her athletic ability rather than for a sexist decree suggesting she cannot compete with men?

My friends and I joined the most competitive league this past fall, and I agreed to play by these rules until they interfered with the amusement of the game. These policies reflect a mindset that exists within society; men are stronger and faster than women. Perhaps men are stronger and faster but that never stopped the tortoise from equally competing against the hare.

Katie Galvin

Junior majoring in English

FAFSA should regulate student spending habits

As many of us are familiar with FAFSA, many, on the other hand, are not.  FAFSA is Federal Student Aid, which ensures that all eligible individuals can benefit from federally funded financial assistance for education beyond high school.

The money provided is specifically intended to aid those with need to pay for higher education, but lately it seems that many are taking advantage of the fact that they have received money in such large amounts. I have seen firsthand the kinds of things students are spending their money on: strip clubs, beer, shopping for clothes, getting manicures and buying unnecessary material things.

My question became whether FAFSA was keeping tabs on the spending of the students they are bestowing their money upon. I know many others who are in the same position as I with regards to not receiving anything at all from this so-called “”aid.””

Indeed it angers me to see the money that our families pay taxes for wasted on the leisure and wants of others rather than the need to pay for tuition. I suppose all we can hope for is for those handing out this free money to open their eyes and keep tabs on where our money as taxpayers is going, but until then I do not see anything changing on behalf of the students who could care less where the money they’re buying their new designer jeans with came from.

Mary Coleman

Pre-journalism freshman