Three UA Olympians honored for London achievements (video)

Jim O’Rourke/Arizona Daily Wildcat During the soccer game against BYU on Thursday, Olympic athletes Georganne Moline (left), Brigetta Barrett and Julie Labonte were honored for competing in London this summer. Barrett won the silver medal for the high jump.

Brigetta Barrett, Georganne Moline, and Julie Labonte were all honored for their accomplishments at the Summer Olympics Thursday night at halftime of the Arizona girls soccer game against BYU.

The packed crowed showered the Olympians with cheers and support. Fans stood in long lines to receive autographs after they were honored. It was a special night for the Olympians, who said they appreciated the support from the Tucson community.

“It means so much,” Moline, who finished fifth in the 400-meter hurdles, said. “For them to put this together it’s awesome.”

Brigetta Barrett, who won the silver medal in the women’s high jump with a NCAA record of 6-feet, 8-inches, feels that being a medal-winning Olympian comes with a responsibility, one that she is ready to take on.

“I’m really, really trying to make sure I stay humble and not change,” Barrett said.” I understand this is a huge responsibility that comes with this accomplishment and I really want to give back any way that I can, because so many people had a hand in where I am today.”

Labonte finished 23rd in the shot put and had a great experience in London, but the Canada native is happy to be back in Tucson.

“Its amazing being back, “Labonte said.”It’s kind of crazy, but it’s really nice seeing my friends and supporters again.”