Arizona tennis turning youngsters to lead team in fall

The Arizona men’s tennis team struggled last season, to say the least. Arizona is looking to some young talent on its roster to aid in its return, in particular freshman Matt Dunn and sophomore Ben Lee.

“Matt Dunn is one of the top players in the state of Arizona. He is the best player coming out of Tucson,” head coach Tad Berkowitz said. “He is a good athlete and once he gets in the environment where he can compete with other top competitors, he has the athletic ability to take his tennis to the next level.”

Dunn came to Arizona after winning two MVP titles, being named Team State Champion in 2011 and earning three First Team All-City selections at Salpointe Catholic High School in Tucson.

“I think I bring a different aspect to the team,” Dunn said. “I developed a different game style because I am taller than most guys playing college ball.”

Standing at 6-foot-2, Dunn uses his height to provide a strong serve and cover more ground on the court. Taller tennis players often have an advantage because of the angles at which they can hit the ball.

“I expect the team to do much better than last year,” Dunn said. “Personally, I want to help the team to finally get that first Pac-12 win. Hopefully more than one.”

Lee spent last year at Louisiana Lafayette before transferring to the UA.

“Lee has a good game. Big game, big serve, big forehand,” Berkowitz said. “Once he is put in the right environment and is at a place where he is always competing, he has the ability to take it up to the next level as well.”

Lee said he wasn’t very fond of his old tennis environment in Louisiana, and is happy to be turning a new page with the Wildcats.

“Arizona completely overshadows Louisiana Lafayette,” Lee said. “Training on the court feels better this year. I believe my game can really flourish here. I am working towards getting to an elite level this year to help Arizona contend.”