Hogan happy with first recruiting class as Arizona hockey coach

Bryan Drazner, who just joined Arizona Wildcats Hockey, skates backwards during a tryout two weeks ago.

In Arizona hockey head coach Sean Hogan’s first official recruiting class, there are a few familiar faces.

Arizona announced a nine member recruiting class that contains five forwards and four defensemen. The class also has three transfers, including two players from NCAA-level teams. Hogan coached one of the players while he was in the junior ranks and another player he coached against.

“We’re really excited. I think we did a good job going out and filling our needs,” Hogan said. “We’re bringing in players who are high-level hockey players, that are excited to compete for the U of A, because that’s one thing that we talked about immediately when I got here. I want to make the University of Arizona … a destination for student athletes.”

Defenseman Nick Hinsberg, who played for the Odessa Jackalopes and the Aurora Tigers last year, played for Hogan during the 2009-2010 season when the UA coach led the Yellowstone Quake.

“I really liked his coaching style. I knew he brought a lot to the team,” Hinsberg said. “On top of that, the school’s amazing. It’s great to play in warm weather for once. I just think it will be a lot of fun.

“There’s a lot of support, the best support in the league, by far,” Hinsberg added. “Between the support, location and coach, it was a pretty easy decision.”

Hinsberg hails from Highlands Ranch, Colo., and when Hogan was hired, he made it a point to try and bring Hinsberg to Arizona.

“He’s a real strong academic player, a real team-first guy, a strong defenseman who plays physical,” Hogan said. “And he’s a tough kid. I’m excited to have him.”

Jason Effertz, a transfer from NCAA Division III University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, came to Arizona because of his fondness for the the Pac-12 Conference.

“My dad went to UCLA, so I grew up around Pac-12 sports and always wanted to go to a Pac-12 school,” Effertz said. “Arizona was always at the top of my list and I actually played against coach Hogan in my junior leagues.”

Other transfers included junior forward Ansel Ivens-Anderson, who came from a top Divison I NCAA hockey program in New Hampshire, and sophomore defenseman Matt Nowicki, who joined the UA from Davenport University, which made it to the American Collegiate Hockey Association Sweet 16 last year. Nowicki scored two goals and had eight assists for the Panthers.

Last year was Hogan’s first as head coach, but he arrived in the middle of August, so this is his first recruiting class here.

“He’s really straightforward. He’ll tell you how it is. He knows what he’s talking about,” Hinsberg said. “I’ve had a lot of coaches that have the job because of somebody they know [but] Hogan’s worked his whole life based on his knowledge of hockey.”

Among the freshmen newcomers, there are two Arizona natives — forward Mike Adamowicz of Chandler, Ariz. and Tyler Baumanis from Phoenix.

Other freshmen include forward Brennen Parker and defensemen Bryan Drazner and Kyle Ambrosie.

When the recruiting class was announced, ACHA Hockey Insider tweeted “wow awesome pick ups for Arizona!!”