Family Weekend: Sorority sisters from the same mister

Owen Forest
Owen Forest / The Daily Wildcat Education freshman Devon Jane Moore (right) and her sister Psychology Junior Maddie Moore (left) outside Student Union Memorial Center on Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2014

There are many siblings attending the UA, but how many belong to the same sorority?

Maddie Moore, a psychology junior, was joined by her younger sister Devon Moore, a pre-education freshman, this year. These two biological and Greek Life sisters are in the Delta Delta Delta sorority.

Coming from San Jose, Calif., the Moore sisters share an unbreakable bond and quite an identical path.

Maddie Moore was the first in her family to enroll in the UA and the first to leave home for school. She is also the first woman in her family to be a part of Greek Life, as her mother is from a small town south of London called Richmond, England, and most of her family lives there. Maddie Moore’s father was in Greek Life, as well as her uncle and grandfather, which is what influenced her to be a part of the community.

Maddie Moore said she loves being a Tri-Delt because of benefits such as having a home on campus and finding someone to do something with.

“It’s a really cool experience,” she said. “Everybody always says it’s hard to see from the outside in, but once you’re in it, you can’t imagine not being in Greek Life.”

Her family came to Tucson for Family Weekend during her freshman year in 2012. Maddie Moore showed her parents her finished dorm room, favorite restaurants on University Boulevard and visited her father’s fraternity house, Delta Tau Delta.

Maddie Moore said her favorite thing to do in Tucson is driving around town and discovering new local spots, all while enjoying the Arizona sunset.

Now as a junior in college, she gets to share her experience with her sister Devon Moore.

Following in her sister’s footsteps, Devon Moore chose the UA out of the 20 other colleges she applied to.

”It’s fear of the unknown … that I had, and I just felt really comfortable at the [UA], because I’ve been here so many times,” Devon Moore said. “I’ve always wanted to go to college with my sister. We’ve always had a goal of living together before we start our real lives. So, I think she’s a huge influence on me coming here but in a positive way.”

Devon Moore’s best experience at the UA so far has been bid day. The anticipation of finding out what sorority she got a bid from and not knowing where the buses would be taking her was fun for her.

“I didn’t really know what to expect when I got [to my bid day destination],” she said. “But I got there, and my sister [was] holding a sign and [she was] shaking it and going crazy. Then, there was the big run and hug. That was probably the best day that I’ve had here.”

Devon Moore said she entered recruitment with an open mind and ended up in Tri-Delta with her sister.

The sisters attend chapter meetings together, go to meals at their sorority house and spend a lot of time bonding. According to Devon Moore, Tri-Delta feels like home.

“Greek Life is all about sisters,” Maddie Moore said. “So, it’s fun that I have my biological sister in it.”

Devon Moore’s favorite thing to do in Tucson is shopping — but not one’s typical trip to the mall. As sisters, they love visiting local thrift shops and strolling through the ’80s section. Redesigning Levi’s jeans is how Maddie Moore has made all her shorts, she said.

Now that it’s Devon Moore’s turn to share her personal college experience with her family this weekend, she said she is focusing on spending quality time with her parents by taking part in the football game festivities and having dinner.

“I really like being in Greek Life,” Devon Moore said. “That’s a big part of my life now.”

_______________

Follow Jocelyn Valencia on Twitter.