Column: Markieff Morris needs to get his act together

Jerome Miron
Apr 8, 2015; Dallas, TX, USA; Phoenix Suns forward Marcus Morris (15) brings the ball up court during the game against the Dallas Mavericks at the American Airlines Center. The Mavericks defeated the Suns 107-104. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

Markieff Morris deserved to get fined Tuesday. In fact, $10,000 may be a little low.

For those of you unfamiliar with the situation, the Phoenix Suns forward is unhappy that his twin brother, Marcus Morris, was traded from the Suns to the Detroit Pistons in July.

Feeling blindsided by the trade, Markieff Morris demanded one as well, and on Twitter of all places.

According to the NBA, the league fined Markieff Morris for “a public statement detrimental to the NBA” in regards to his “desire to be traded by the Suns.”

Of course, it was detrimental. He posted it on Twitter. If Markieff Morris was that distraught, he should be approaching his head coach and the Suns management. Posting on Twitter was just asking for trouble.

Why would you tell the world you are unhappy with an organization that pays you money? You don’t see CEOs calling out their board of directors on Twitter, do you?

Many members of the Suns have arrived in Phoenix to start their formal workouts, but Markieff Morris is not one of them.

His brother Marcus Morris, on the other hand, is still going to back his twin brother all the way.

“I’m a grown man,” Marcus Morris said to the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I can stand on my own. I play on my own. It’s just the disrespectful side. What we did for the Suns, the pay cuts we took and for them to trade me without consent is what made me more disappointed and is what made me more upset.”

The Twitter world added some comedy to the whole debacle.

“I hope the NBA gave Markieff Morris advanced notice before they fined him,” Twitter user Scott Howard said on the social media site. “I know how he requires that kind of thing.”

Overall, the Morris twins caused much more drama than they may be worth. Sure, Markieff Morris averaged 15.3 points per game and 6.2 rebounds. But from hating on Suns fans to disrespecting their coach, the Morris twins need a lesson in professionalism.

The NBA has had its fair share of similar controversies over the years. Just take a look at Dennis Rodman, Allen Iverson or LeBron James. Do we really have to add the Morris brothers to the mix?

Markieff Morris, I’m going to be real with you. You are a 26-year-old man and a professional basketball player in the NBA. Almost one year ago today, you signed a four-year contract worth $32 million. That’s more money than my entire family will see in a lifetime.

I understand you are disgruntled. This is your career and you have every right to be. Just don’t tell the world about it; it’s not the world’s business. It’s the Phoenix Suns’.

“We take pride in their growth and look forward to their bright futures,” Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby said to ESPN in September 2014.

Marcus Morris was traded this summer and Markieff Morris is hoping to be next. So much for that bright future.

Still, there are no excuse. Markieff Morris should get his act together. I say that in the nicest way possible.

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter.