Generational wildcats Bear Down for Family Weekend

Courtesy of Marissa Giunta

UA alumnae Michelle Storcz, left, and Marissa Giunta, right, pose for a photo at Giunta’s home on May 23. This Family Weekend, alumni are able to celebrate their Wildcat spirit with their UA students.

Family weekend is here, and it’s time for students to show their parents the ins and outs of being a UA student. This isn’t the case for Marissa Giunta, a pre-physiology freshman at the UA, because her parents attended the UA as well. 

Ever since Marissa was a young girl, her parents talked about their adventures at the UA. They met in their second semester of college during freshman year, in an English class held at Old Main. Her parents always spoke highly of the university and attempted to encourage her to attend the UA and share those same experiences. 

Aside from her parents attending the university, her aunt and uncle were Wildcats too. The four adults spoke enthusiastically about their college years and gave Giunta an open mind about applying. 

“I want to go to medical school, and the UA is really well known for their sciences,” Giunta said. “My decision to come here was a no-brainer.” 

Giunta is from Scottsdale, Arizona, yet did not attend a single UA sporting event when she was young. As she moves through her freshman year, she has grown a love for the football games, being a part of ZonaZoo, and is intrigued by how school-spirited Wildcat pride can be. 

The Giunta family has all agreed that, since the UA is a large campus, there is always something to do. From walking on the UA Mall to strolling down University Boulevard, they said that it’s always a happy and healthy environment for students to being surrounded by.

“I came all the way from New York to the UA, and I got a great education that prepared me for my teaching career,” said Michelle Storcz, Marissa’s mother. “I fell in love and married my college sweetheart. It is surreal to have my daughter here 26 years later!”

Giunta has two younger brothers, Nicholas, 15, and Dominic, 13. Nicholas plans to attend the UA in the future, and Dominic has given thought to attending ASU.

Giunta said she would like to keep the tradition going and have her children attend the UA in the future; however, she said if they don’t find interest in the school, she wants her future children to attend a university that makes them happiest. 

Giunta said she thinks the most fascinating feature about the UA is the variety of courses offered and the interesting general education classes. Declaring her major was a large factor in her decision to come to the UA. Giunta said she thinks the UA can lead her in the right direction of pursing the career she hopes to succeed in.

“I think UA is an excellent school where you can get a great undergraduate and graduate education,” said Michael Giunta, Marissa’s father. “Many of my patients are impressed when they ask where I went to school. [The] UA and UA Medical School are well known and well respected.”

At family weekend, Mrs. Storcz plans to re-visit her alma mater and Bear Down with her daughter, Marissa.

Follow Gabriella Vukelic on Twitter.