Wildcat softball sweeps Wisconsin, San Diego in Friday double-header

Max Cohen
Arizona’s Alyssa Palomino (32) prepares to swing through the ball during the UA-Northwestern game this Friday, Feb. 9, 2018 at the Farrington Stadium in Tempe, Ariz.

Arizona softball swept day two of the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson, beating Wisconsin 1-0 before finishing the day with a 10-2 win over San Diego.

Wisconsin

In game one, junior pitcher Taylor McQuillin got the nod, and improved to 13-1 on the season with another strong performance. She threw a complete game, allowing four hits while striking out 11. 

The only run put up in the game was a solo shot to right field for redshirt sophomore Alyssa Palomino. The homer marks Palomino’s seventh on the season.

San Diego

In game two, freshman Hanah Bowen got the start on the mound for the ‘Cats. She went the whole game, allowing three hits and two earned runs.

“[I’m] just coming out there and fighting and competing,” Bowen said about her mentality going into the game. “I have complete confidence within our hitting, so I just had to go and do my thing.” 

The ‘Cats got the offense started early. 

To lead off the bottom of the first, Palomino hit another solo home run, her third in as many games. After sophomore Reyna Carranco was hit by a pitch, Jessie Harper hit a double down the left field line that scored Carranco. Then redshirt senior Aleah Craighton hit a two run homer into right field, making it 4-0 ‘Cats after one inning.

To lead off the top of the second, senior Kailey Hill hit a solo home run for San Diego.

Craighton would strike again in the bottom of the third, with a solo shot to left field. Two batters later, sophomore Malia Martinez hit a solo homer of her own into left field, making it 7-1 Wildcats.

San Diego would add another run in the top of the fifth with an RBI double from senior Sarah Stone, cutting the Wildcats lead to 7-2.

The Wildcats were able to end the game in the bottom of the fifth. A single by redshirt freshman Carli Campbell scored sophomore Dejah Mulipola. Then, a single by Palomino scored junior Hillary Edior, before a Carranco single scored Campbell and made the final score 10-2 in favor of the Wildcats.

“I don’t think I ever go up to the plate trying to hit a home run,” Craighton said of her performance. “I just try to have my best at-bat, whatever I can get, I’ll take.”

The Wildcat Invitational rolls on for the ‘Cats on Saturday with another double header planned. First up, No. 24 SC Upstate at 9 a.m., and then a rematch with Wisconsin at 11 a.m.