The University of Arizona Police Department and the Tucson Fire Department helped students evacuate after a fire broke out in the Árbol de la Vida Residence Hall Monday, March 25.
UAPD arrived at the scene first after receiving the call around 5:58 p.m., according to UAPD crime prevention specialist and public information officer, Ramon Moreno. The fire was in the kitchen on the first floor.
UAPD officers were able to put it out with a fire extinguisher. When TFD arrived, they assisted in evacuating students, who remained outside for an estimated time of 45 minutes. No one was injured.
TFD later confirmed it was a grease fire.
Moreno said the fire was most likely caused accidentally by students who were cooking. The student(s) responsible have not been yet identified.
The fire caused damage to the kitchen vent, stove and wall behind the stove. There has yet to be any report made by Facilities Management about the cost of these damages.
According to the UAPD Annual Campus Safety, Security, and Fire Report 2018, the last residential fires were in 2015. The three separate incidents were all caused by cooking fire, with damage costs less than $100.
Árbol de la Vida declined to comment on the incident.
Follow Mekayla Phan on Twitter