Click here for updates on the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) situation at the University of Arizona

TOP-STORY

Arizona men’s basketball to self-impose one year postseason ban

02-21-19-ua-vs-cal-smf-2
Sofia Moraga | The Daily Wildcat Arizona Men's Basketball Head Coach, Sean Miller, surveys the court during the Arizona-California game on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019 at the McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz.

On Tuesday Dec. 29, the University of Arizona announced that it will be self-imposing a postseason ban on its men’s basketball team following the NCAA’s ongoing investigation regarding the program and former assistant coach Book Richardson and Mark Phelps.

“The University of Arizona is self-imposing a one-year postseason ban on the UA Men’s Basketball program as a proactive measure in its ongoing NCAA enforcement process,” the University of Arizona said in a statement. “The decision is an acknowledgement that the NCAA’s investigation revealed that certain former members of the MBB staff displayed serious lapses in judgment and a departure from the University’s expectation of honest and ethical behavior.  It is also in accord with the penalty guidelines of the NCAA for the type of violations involved.  This decision also reinforces the institution’s commitment to accountability and integrity as well as serving the best long-term interests of the University and the Men’s Basketball program.”

RELATED: James Akinjo leads the way again in Wildcats’ first conference win over Colorado

The men’s basketball program had previously confirmed that it received a notice of allegations from the NCAA and opted not to release the detailed sanctions to the public. Arizona's case regarding the investigation is now being processed by the NCAA's Independent Accountability Resolution Process and will issue a resolution at the end of the process. It is unclear, at this time, when that case through the IARP will be resolved.

MORE FROM THE DAILY WILDCAT

“The decision to self-impose a postseason ban was extremely difficult, as we recognize the impact that it has on our current student-athletes,” Arizona athletic director Dave Heeke said in a statement. “We will continue to cooperate fully with the NCAA enforcement process and continue to support the hard-working young men in our men’s basketball program.”

Head coach Sean Miller also released a statement about the situation. 

“I understand and fully support the University’s decision to self-impose a one-year post season ban on our Men’s Basketball program,” Miller said in the statement. “Our team will remain united and aggressively compete to win a PAC-12 championship.”


Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter



Share this article


UA COVID-19 Test Tracker

Daily (1/26)
1,830 34 %
Total (8/4)
136,977 3,838 %
Includes tests since August 4, 2020
Data from https://covid19.arizona.edu/updates
Updated January 26, 2021