Arizona WBB beats Louisville in overtime nail biter

img-6005
Madeleine Viceconte | The Daily Wildcat Forward Cate Reese (25) catches a rebound ball during the game against USC in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament on Thursday, March 7 at the Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Arizona defeated USC 76-48.

The Arizona women’s basketball team got a big-time win in overtime against AP No.6 Louisville 61-59. 

“We just earned some respect today, which is good, I like that. I don’t mind being the underdog, it's pretty fun.” head coach Adia Barnes said.

The Wildcats were led by Cate Reese and Lauren Ware, Reese scored 21 points and shot 50% (6-12) from the field, 60% (3-5) from the 3 and 100% (6-6) from the free-throw line. Ware had a complete game, eight points, 10 rebounds and three blocks on the day. One of Ware’s blocks was during overtime with only 38 seconds remaining, which stopped a Louisville attempt to tie the game. 

Arizona shot the ball 36.7% (22-60) from the field and 26.3% (5-19) from beyond the arch. Arizona held Louisville to only 28.6% (16-56) from the field and 18.2% (2-11) from the three. This game was sloppy and had a total of 34 turnovers, 17 from Arizona and 17 from Louisville. 

MORE FROM THE DAILY WILDCAT

“If I look back on last year, we had a pretty good year. I look back defensively. We are better now. We rotate better and are just a little more consistent and it’s this early. I think we are going to be a better defensive team,” Barnes said.

The game was close throughout and the largest lead of the game was only 7. There were questions on who Arizona would look to in a late-game since Aari McDonald is no longer here.  In overtime, Arizona looked to Bendu Yeaney to hit big shots. Bendu hit a big-time 3 and a mid-range jumper to give Arizona the lead late in the game. Yeaney scored five of her 12 in the overtime period. 

“I kept shooting, I knew one of them were gonna fall. I kept saying on the bench one of these were gonna fall and when it falls it's gonna be a good one. They backed up and I was like if you back up I’m going to shoot it.” Yeaney said after being asked about her clutch three-pointer in overtime.

Arizona comes home to play Texas Southern on Monday, Nov. 15 at 6:30 p.m. 

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter 

Share this article

UA COVID-19 Test Tracker

Daily (12/8)
669 11 1.6%
Total (8/2)
66,070 1,065 1.6%
Includes tests since August 2, 2021
Data from https://covid19.arizona.edu/updates
Updated December 8, 2021