The 5 things I learned interning in NYC

I spent last semester interning in New York City and I learned more at that job than I have in all my years of education combined. When you’re thrust into the ‘real world,’ you’ll learn a lot more than you can in a classroom. I’m not to say teachers aren’t valuable, however it’s difficult to get a real perspective behind the comfort of a desk.

Breaking your comfort zone and leaving your area of expertise are the only ways you’ll learn what you’re really made of. Here’s a list of the lessons I learned while in New York City.

1.Make a list of the things you love and the things you’re good at and where they overlap is where you’ll be the happiest.

Choose a career path that you love with all that you are. Choose something that you’ll be excited to do everyday — make it so the weekends are just an awkward lull between the times you get to spend living the dream. Think about this: if money didn’t matter and you could do whatever you wanted for a living, what would it be? Whatever you just said, do that. Most of us hunger for jobs that leave us a one in a million chance. As difficult as it may be, believe me, you’re going to want to take that chance.

2.Never compromise who you are for what you’re doing.

The real world is demanding, chaotic, and scary and it’s so easy to lose yourself. Never sacrifice your principles to get ahead. Chances are if a job is asking you to do something that makes your moral compass go haywire, it’s probably not the job for you anyways.

3.Worry a little less and work a little harder.

Worrying will get you nowhere, I repeat, nowhere. Spend less time thinking about what you have to do tomorrow and more time thinking about what you can do right now. Have a little faith. Rely on your talents and your drive. If you’re good, you’ll get there.

4.Say yes to everything.

Seize every opportunity that comes your way. You’re never too good to learn. Every opportunity offers something to learn and it’s one more thing you can put on your resume. Employers like to see people who are ambitious so go carpe that diem.

5.It’s okay to be a little lost.

College has this stigma that you have to know exactly what you want to do and how you’re going to do it. From my experience, it’s perfectly fine to be a little lost for a while. Your dream job is attainable; you just have to be willing to fight for it. If you don’t quite know what is it yet, don’t worry, you will.