Click here for updates on the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) situation at the University of Arizona

Assistant coach Richardson taking leave of absence

The UA announced Friday that men’s basketball assistant coach Emanuel “Book” Richardson will be taking a temporary leave of absence due to health issues.

Richardson assured players and fans that he was in no grave danger.

“This is not a life or death situation, but nonetheless very important,” Richardson said in a press release. “I am very appreciative to be given the flexibility to temporarily step away from coaching and basketball, and to concentrate on my well-being. I want to thank Coach Miller, the Arizona basketball family, and the athletic department for allowing me this opportunity. I look forward to returning to the Arizona basketball program.”

Richardson is in his fifth season at Arizona.

“We support Coach Richardson’s decision to take some time off from his coaching duties,” head coach Sean Miller said in a press release. “ What’s most important at this time is that he takes care of himself. We will miss his contribution to our program, but giving him time away is the best thing we can do. We look forward to his return.”

Richardson plays an instrumental part in Arizona’s recruiting efforts and has played fundamental roles in landing many promising freshman like Aaron Gordon and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

—Follow Evan Rosenfeld @EvanRosenfeld17